WELCOME TO FAMILY SAFETY SERVICES
Working for Peace in the Home
Te ohu Whakaaio Kainga
Family Safety Services is dedicated to the prevention and intervention of family violence. We offer a free service to whanau in Thames/Coromandel and Hauraki plains rohe.
CONTACTS FOR IMMEDIATE SUPPORT
- Women's Refuge – 0800 733 843 (available 24 hours)
- Shine domestic abuse services – 0508 744 633 (9am-11pm 7 days a week)
- HeyBro helpline – supporting men to be free from violence 0800 HeyBro (439 276) (available 24 hours)
- Family violence information line - to find out about local services or how to help someone else 0800 456 450
(available 9am-11pm 7 days a week)
- Shakti - for migrant and refugee women 0800 742 584 (available 24 hours)
- Te Puna Oranga – whānau crisis line 0800 222 042 (available 24 hours)
- Elder Abuse Helpline - 0800 32 668 65 (available 24 hours)
- Youthline – free text 234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (available 8am-12am 7 days a week, phone service
unavailable at this time)
- 1737, Need to talk? - Free call or text 1737 for mental health support from a trained counsellor (available 24 hours)
- Oranga Tamariki line - for concerns about children and young people 0508 326 459, email email@example.com
- Rape Crisis – 0800 88 33 00
- Safe to Talk sexual harm helpline – 0800 044334, text 4334, email firstname.lastname@example.org (available 24 hours)
WHAT IS FAMILY HARM?
We specialise in family harm prevention and intervention
The purpose of Family Safety Services is to help our clients identify attitudes and beliefs that contribute to events of family harm. We deliver a range of abuse prevention and intervention services throughout the Thames/Coromandel and Hauraki communities
DEFINITION OF FAMILY HARM
Physical, sexual, psychological, emotional and financial abuse
Some harmful behaviours are;
Behaving abusively in front of children
Controlling access to money
Dangerous Driving with the intention of causing fear
WHAT WE OFFER
Our people are well qualified and experienced in understanding the dynamics and affects of family harm.
We offer a free, safe and confidential service to our clients.
We offer counselling and social work support to men, women and youth who have or are likely to experience some type of family harm either as someone who uses violence or is having or witnessing violence being used against them.
We are not a crisis service. If you are in immediate danger call 111.
If you are not in immediate danger but are feeling unsafe at home please contact us.
Isolation not Isolation
In the face of a global pandemic, many romantic relationships will experience an increase in tension and conflict.
Big Read: How we can stop men's violence against women
MEET THE TEAM
Agency Leader and Counsellor
Mark holds a Bachelors degree in Counselling and is a provisional member of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors. Marks interest is in working with men and emotions.
KAREN HUTCHINSON JP
Clinical Leader and Counsellor
Karen holds Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling and is a member of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors. Karen delivers couples counselling and works with victims of family violence trauma.
Community Social Worker
Angela has a Bachelor of Applied Social Work and is a New Zealand registered social worker.
Angela works with children, young people and families where violence has occurred. Angela also works with trauma and anger management strategies.
Francie has a Bachelor of Social Work. She is of Ngati Whatua. Francie is understanding of Maori culture and works with young people and their wellbeing, whanau, and women's identity. Francie also acts as an advocate.